Thursday, February 7, 2013

Tasting - Black Opal Shiraz

Date of Tasting: February 7, 2013
Name: Black Opal Shiraz
Variety: 50% Syrah, 28% Zinfandel, and 22% Pinot Noir
Region: South Eastern Australia
Country: Australian
Year: 2011
Price: $5.95

Shop Review: The Black Opal wines are sourced from vineyards found in South Australia along the Limestone Coast, at Langhorne Creek and in the infamous Barossa Valley. Black Opal Shiraz is rich red in the glass. Aromas of blackberry, pepper and spice follow with rich plum flavors round out the palate. Soft tannins give structure to the fruit-driven palate.

My Review: When my glass was poured, I did notice the color, and as described in the shop review, it was a ruby color. On the nose, it came off very spicy. On the palate, I was able to taste some of the berry flavors. Overall, this wasn't an overpowering red wine at least for my palate. 

With or Without Food: Without food

No comments:

Post a Comment